Residential Education and Housing Operations


For the purposes of this policy, occupancy begins when the student accepts their room key and terminates when they turn in the key according to proper check-out or room change procedures.  During occupancy, the student accepts responsibility for the assigned room. For this reason, it is important that the necessary procedures be adhered to in effecting any changes. It is understood by the resident and the University that they use the assigned room or apartment for no other purpose than as living quarters.

Check in/Checkout

Residents must check-in prior to moving into their rooms. At this time, they receive their room keys and Room Condition Reports. A Room Condition Report will be filled out by the Resident Assistant and then reviewed by each resident during check-in. Residents will be held responsible at checkout for all damages not listed on the Room Condition Report.
Note: If a resident has not checked in by 8:00 am on the first day of any semester’s classes and has not notified the office, the room assignment may be cancelled.
Students will be required to checkout of their rooms at the end of the year and/or any time they vacate the room (i.e., room change or withdrawal). Failure to checkout will result in an improper checkout fee in addition to any charges for damage or failure to return keys.


The University does not have facilities to store student property. Please make necessary arrangements to remove all your belongings when you move out of campus housing.  Personal property must not be left in rooms over the summer.

Room Changes

Freeze Period: Room changes will not be permitted for approximately two weeks after the check-in period. The purpose of this freeze period is (1) to allow time to locate unexpected vacancies so that any students on the waiting list may be notified that housing is available, and (2) to provide a period in which the residence hall population may stabilize.
Change Period: Students will be notified when the freeze period is over and when room changes can be requested. At this time, two days will be set aside for students to move if they have obtained approval. Unauthorized room changes will result in a fee to each resident involved, and those residents may be required to return to their original room assignments.


After the beginning of each semester, the staff can contact those students who are in double occupancy rooms without roommates (due to cancellation or withdrawals). Students may choose one of the following options:

  • If space allows, keep the room as a single by paying a single room rate.
  • Consolidate with another resident who is also without a roommate.  With this option, the individuals involved decide which student moves.
  • Change rooms with a resident who currently holds double occupancy but is willing to pay the single rate.  The student wishing to move will be responsible for locating students in double occupancy rooms who are willing to move to a single.
  • Stay in the current room and expect a roommate to be assigned at any point during the semester.  Residential Education and Housing Operations staff reserves the right to charge a pro-rated room fee if the resident(s) of a room refuse to accommodate a student who is approved to move in. This charge will be assessed to the remaining resident(s).

Vacating the Residence Halls

All students are required to leave the residence halls during each break period (except fall break) and at the end of each semester within 24 hours after their last examination, or no later than 9:00 AM the day after all University exams are completed, whichever comes first. For specific times and dates, please see the closing schedule publicized each semester on the UNC Asheville Housing website. Exceptions to this policy will be made only under extreme circumstances and must be approved by the Assistant Director of Housing & Student Life Operations or the Dean of Students. Requests for such stayovers are normally required at least two weeks in advance.

Enrollment Status

In order to live in University housing, a student must be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credit hours or more) during each semester. Exceptions to this policy are for extenuating circumstances and must be approved by the Dean of Students. Any student intending to drop below 12 credit hours must meet with the Dean of Students, who will review the circumstances and outline the risks and consequences of taking this action. The Dean of Students reserves the right to deny the request for a student taking less than 12 hours to remain in the residence halls. Students who are required to vacate their residence hall space may be subject to the full cost of the room rate for the remainder of the semester and the $750 cancellation fee.

Residential Seniors Credit Hour Requirements

A student in their senior year will be permitted to be enrolled in 9 to 11 credit hours and remain in the residence halls by completing a special request form through the Office of Residential Education and Housing & Student Life Operations. Seniors in their graduating semester who may have special circumstances placing them under 9 credit hours may meet with the Dean of Students for approval to remain in on campus housing.

Residential Students with 9 to 11 Credit Hours

Residential students who request to drop to 9 to11 credit hours or are not performing satisfactorily in 9 to 11 credit hours are required to meet with the Dean of Students to explain the reason(s) for failure to maintain full-time active enrollment and to determine the need for on and/or off-campus support services. Based on review of the appropriate documentation and the outcome of the meeting, at the Dean of Students’ discretion (may involve consultation with other professional staff and administrators) a residential student may be asked to leave the residence halls or be allowed to complete a 9 to 11 Hour Agreement for special circumstances.
Note: reasonable efforts are made to identify students who are not performing satisfactorily in their coursework, however not every student can be identified.

Residential Students with Less Than nine Credit Hours

Residential students who drop below 9 credit hours or are not performing satisfactorily in at least 9 hours of course work are not allowed to remain in the residence halls. The Dean of Students, upon review of the daily report and/or other appropriate documentation, will immediately notify Residential Education staff of any student who has dropped below 9 hours or has reason to believe the student is not performing satisfactorily and/or attending classes regularly in at least 9 hours of course work. The student will be required to meet with the Director of Residential Education, the Associate Provost for Academic Administration and/or the Dean of Students to determine the nature of the issue. Depending upon the history of the situation, time of the semester and/or reasonable ability for academic recovery, the student may be given a conditional opportunity to try to complete the semester. Should the student not meet the conditions or there be no reasonable chance for academic recovery, the student may be required to leave University housing and/or withdraw from the University. Should this be the case, staff will notify the student immediately to begin making preparations to move out of the residence halls. Upon notification by the staff, the student will have 48 hours (including weekend days) to make arrangements for off-campus housing and remove his or her belongings from the residence hall.
Note: reasonable efforts are made to identify students who are not performing satisfactorily in their coursework, however not every student can be identified.

Room Selection

Room sign-up and assignments for the following year occur each spring for currently enrolled students. Requests for a special building, room and/or roommate will be honored whenever possible for those students who follow the proper room sign-up procedure, but cannot be guaranteed for all housing assignments. The room selection process is published and distributed beforehand to all residents.

Students will reserve a room for the next academic year by returning a room request form during the designated room sign-up periods. Cancellation of a room reservation at any time after the form is submitted will automatically generate a room reservation cancellation charge of $750 to the student’s account. This $750 is non-negotiable, so students should consider their plans carefully before reserving a room.

Students who do not request a room assignment during the spring room sign-up will automatically have their housing contract cancelled at the end of spring semester.

Voluntary and Involuntary Withdrawal from the Residence Halls

When a student withdraws from the residence halls, they must first cancel their housing contract in writing. A residence hall withdrawal request will only be approved if the student has also withdrawn from classes. If you withdraw from all classes, you must check- out of the residence hall within 24 hours. Non-enrolled students and students who are enrolled but are not attending classes will be removed from the residence halls. A room and meal plan refund will be assessed using a refund percentage based on the date of withdrawal. After a certain portion of the semester has passed, no refund will be allotted.
The University reserves the right to suspend a student’s housing contract, temporarily or permanently, if the University determines the student is a threat to self or others or is a detrimental disruption to the residence hall community. A student may be denied on campus housing or have on-campus housing immediately suspended if the University determines that, to be assured of the student’s safety or well-being, the student may require more care or supervision than the University can provide in a residence hall environment.
As a general rule, no refunds will be given to students whose housing contracts are cancelled due to disciplinary reasons; however, exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Dean of Students.

Room Damages/Maintenance

Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms and bathrooms. When a room is vacated, the residents are responsible for returning the room and its contents to the original condition. Failure to do this will result in a charge to the occupants of the room. When a student checks into an assigned room, they accept responsibility for its condition and review the inventory on the Room Condition Report, which becomes a record for the condition of the room when they assumed occupancy. This record is compared to the condition of the room at check-out. To protect yourself, be sure your Room Condition Report is carefully and accurately completed. If the room or its furnishings, including the doors and windows, are damaged, the costs will be billed equally to all occupants of the room unless those individuals responsible are identified. For example, tape marks, stickers, glue, toothpaste, self-adhesive plastic hooks, nails and screws on varnished or painted surfaces are considered damages. The occupants of a room will be charged for any restorative services (e.g., tape removal, wall washing and/or painting, surface refinishing on room doors, desk, dresser tops, etc.). Charges may be assessed depending on the severity of the damage and posted to the student’s account.

Lockout and Lost Key Policy

Students are locked out of their rooms when they have exhausted all possibilities for locating their room key, including waiting for roommates to return home if the key was left in the room. If a student is locked out, after 8pm, he or she should try to locate their RA or another RA or go to the front desk of the hall for assistance. The front desk staff member will contact an appropriate Residential Education staff member, who will meet the student at the front desk and unlock the door to the room. Students must have their UNC Asheville OneCard or other appropriate picture identification, which can be checked to verify that they are the resident of the room in which they are trying to gain access.

Beginning at 8 AM on Monday through Friday, there is a Residential Education staff member available in the Governors Hall main office to assist with the lockout if the student cannot locate an RA to assist them. On weekends before 8pm, and between the hours of 5pm and 8pm on weekdays, a student can locate one of the building RAs to assist them. If they cannot locate an RA, they can contact the Community Director on call who can then assist them.
Once in the room, the student must locate his or her key and show it to the Residential Education staff member. If the key cannot be found, the RA will submit paperwork for a lock change to the room. The student will be billed for the lock change, which is $75.
The first lockout of each academic year is free of charge. The second lockout costs $5.00, the third is $10.00, and the charge will increase by $5.00 for each additional lockout. Lockout charges are billed to a student’s account.

Things to keep in mind about Lockouts and Lost Keys

You will receive a letter reminding you of the importance of safety when you are billed. If any student reaches a fifth lockout, he or she will receive a letter asking them to schedule a non-disciplinary meeting with their Community Director to discuss their lock outs.
If you have temporarily misplaced your key or have left it at home, tell a staff member. We will work with you to establish a reasonable deadline date for the return of a borrowed key. The borrowed key cost is $25. Once the key is returned, your account will be credited. You will be advised of the specific deadline for the loaned key’s return. If that deadline passes without the loaned key being returned a lock change will be scheduled at your expense, and the borrowed key charge will remain on your account. Please note that during this time period we will not have a key available to assist you if you are locked out.
If you have lost your keys, there is a Lost & Found department in Campus Police; please call (828)251-6710 to ask if your keys have been turned in before requesting a lock change.
The cost of a lock change ($75.00) is always the responsibility of the resident and it applies whether your keys are (key is) lost or stolen.

Common Areas

Common areas (lounges, corridors, recreation areas, etc.) are for the use of everyone in the hall. No individual or group should engage in an activity that inhibits the use of these common areas by other residents unless approved in advance by a Community Director or Housing Office staff. Lounge furniture provided in common areas may not be removed from the area for which it was provided. This furniture is there for the comfort of all residents. If lounge furniture or any displaced University property is found in individual students’ rooms, the occupants can be charged the cost of returning the items. This misappropriation fee may be followed by disciplinary action. When damages occur in the common areas of the floor or building, where individual responsibility is difficult to determine, students and staff will work together to determine the most probable source of responsibility. Depending on the circumstances, the University may collectively assess groups, suites or entire floors on a prorated basis for common area damage.
Golden Rule for improving your environment: hold others accountable! Don’t be afraid to confront your neighbors and others who hold little respect for your surroundings. If you are uncomfortable with confrontation, let your RA know so they can help.


Residents may have guests during the regulated hours of visitation: Sunday through Thursday from noon to 1 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, noon to 2 a.m. Guests wishing to stay past visitation hours or overnight must follow the Guest Policy (see below).

Note: Governors Hall residents and guests follow the same visitation and guest policies as residents in Founders, Mills, Overlook, South Ridge and West Ridge Halls. The Governors Village residence halls have 24-hour visitation. The University does not permit cohabitation. Residents of a residence hall floor or Village building may establish stricter visitation regulations by a majority vote at the beginning of each semester. The Dean of Students and/or the Director of Residential Education and Citizenship Education reserve the right to designate more restrictive hours in individual rooms if needed to protect the primary rights of any resident.

Guest Policy

Visitation hours for the Residence Halls are Sunday through Thursday from noon to 1 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, noon to 2 a.m. (All residence halls fall under this policy except Governors Village, which has 24-hour visitation.) Residents may have guests (resident student, non-resident student and non-student) only during the regulated hours of visitation unless they are registered as overnight guests. All overnight guests must be registered.
A resident is permitted to register and host only one overnight guest at a time.
Guests who wish to stay overnight must be registered by the host with the Night Assistant or Resident Assistant on duty at the front desk of the residence hall. Guests of the opposite sex are permitted to stay as overnight guests, provided they are registered as stated above. A resident host is limited to no more than three consecutive nights of overnight guests and no more than six nights in a thirty (30) day period. All registered overnight guests must have their pass with them at all times and must be escorted by their host at all times in the residence halls.
Residents are encouraged to discuss hosting overnight guests with their roommates and suitemates and make it part of their roommate/suitemate agreement. At the beginning of the academic year/semester, Residential Education reserves the right to further limit or suspend the overnight guest privileges of a resident due to inappropriate conduct or community living issues. Violation of the Overnight Guest Policy and/or Visitation Policy can result in a violation of the Student Code of Community Standards and can include sanctions including but not limited to a loss of visitation/overnight guest privileges.
Overnight guests parking on campus past 9:00 pm must get a parking permit from Campus Police.

Maximum Room Occupancy

Due to fire regulations, no more than six (6) individuals should be in a Founders, West Ridge, South Ridge, Governors Village or Governors Hall room at one time, and no more than twelve (12) in an Overlook or Mills Hall suite.


Possession or use, whether open or concealed, of any weapon while on public or private University- owned property is a felony, and a violation of state law, punishable by a fine of up to $500 or six months imprisonment, or both.
Possession of a Concealed Weapon Permit does not entitle individuals to carry concealed weapons of any kind on University-owned property. Weapons include, but are not limited to, guns, rifles, pistols, explosives, paintball guns, BB guns, bowie knives, crossbows, daggers, switchblade knives, metallic knuckles, throwing stars, or knives of more than six inches when opened.
Weapons, ammunition, fireworks, gasoline, oil and other combustible or explosive materials are not permitted in or around the residence halls. Knives other than those used as kitchen tools are prohibited in the entire residential area. Any student using fireworks or smoke bombs, or found to be in possession of a weapon may be removed from the residence halls immediately and will be subject to the UNC Asheville Citizenship Education Process.

Window Policy

University Staff are concerned with potentially serious risks regarding windows.  Therefore, the following policies have been established:

    1. Students caught throwing anything from a window may have their housing contracts suspended and will be subject to further disciplinary action.
    2. Under no circumstances are students permitted to place objects on outside window ledges.
    3. No objects are permitted outside windows (such as plants, antennae, air-conditioners, laundry, etc.).
    4. For health, safety and sanitation reasons, screens are never to be removed from windows.
    5. Access to roofs, either through windows or by any other means, is strictly prohibited.

Electrical Appliances

Residence halls and resident rooms are arranged for compliance with fire regulations as well as individual comfort. The electrical system is not designed to carry heavy loads of equipment, so be careful in your use of electricity.
Because of an increase in the number of fires associated with cooking in residence hall facilities across the state, and concern on the part of the North Carolina Insurance Commissioner’s Office, the following standards have been set for the residence halls at UNC Asheville:

1. The following appliances are approved for these facilities:

hot air popper, slow cooker/crock pot, blender, can opener, coffee maker or coffee pot, toaster oven, refrigerator, hair dryer, electric razor, radio or stereo, VCR, DVD player, television and microwave oven.

2. Prohibited appliances include:

regular toaster, open-coil burner or hot plate, deep fat fryer, hot-oil popper, electric skillet or electric wok, electric griddle or grill, electric hamburger cooker, indoor grill or open broiler, and any high-heat appliance or other appliance capable of heating grease to a burning point.

3. Students are not allowed to have personal air conditioners in the residence halls.

4. Refrigerators must be limited to 220 watts of power and must not exceed 10 cubic feet in size. Microwave ovens must be limited to 600 watts of power. Refrigerators and microwaves are provided in all student rooms in Founders, Governors Hall, Governors Village, South Ridge Hall, and West Ridge Hall and in every suite at Mills Hall.
If you have any questions or need additional clarification regarding the appliance policy, you may contact your Resident Assistant or Community Director.

Power Outages

Power outages can and do occur at any time of the year. While outages at UNC Asheville are not common and power is restored quickly, we encourage students to be prepared. The following are some suggestions for your personal safety and protection of your property:

  • Keep a flashlight and batteries in a place where you can easily locate them. In the event of a power failure, there is backup security lighting in most public areas (hallways, stairwells, etc.), but individual rooms can be dark. The University does not provide flashlights or batteries, so students should keep both on hand. Candles and lanterns are fire hazards and are prohibited.
  • Always use surge protectors with your electrical equipment (computers, televisions, VCRs, DVD players, stereos, microwaves, refrigerators, etc.)
  • Unplug all electrical equipment if you have advance notice of a power outage.
  • Treat all alarms as emergencies and follow evacuation procedures.
  • Residence hall fire alarms are powered so that they still operate when the campus is without electricity.
  • If a power outage occurs without advance notice, please report the situation immediately to Campus Police at 828.251.6710.
  • In the event of an emergency, call Campus Police or 911.

Halogen Lamp Policy

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has documented over 120 fires and multiple deaths due to the use of halogen lamps. Because of this serious concern about safety in the residence halls, UNC Asheville bans the use of halogen bulbs or lamps in the residence halls.


University buildings and/or campus space may not be used to raise money or support for any individual or organization other than officially recognized campus organizations or non-profit charitable organizations with approval from appropriate University administrators.
Students may not operate businesses from their residence hall rooms. A business is defined as any activity involving exchange of goods or services for money or compensation. If you have questions related to this policy, please contact the Director of Residential Education (828) 251-6700.

Recreational Equipment

The use of skateboards, skates, bikes, paint or water guns and similar recreational equipment is prohibited in the residence halls. The use of balls (tennis, golf, soccer, basketball, football, Frisbees, etc.) is also prohibited in the residence halls. Bouncing of balls is a violation of the Noise Policy. Bikes may not be stored in residence hall stairwells, hallways or other public areas. Bike racks are located in each residence hall area. There are covered bike rack locations at Highsmith University Union, Governors Hall, and Ridges parking deck.

Pet Policy

It is against University regulations and North Carolina state law for anyone to bring animals into residence hall rooms or into the residence hall area. Students are permitted to have fish or tropical fish aquariums 10 gallons or smaller in size. Anyone in violation will be subject to disciplinary action, will automatically be assessed a fee, and will be required to remove the animal(s) immediately to avoid additional fines.
Students who request accommodation for a service animal must contact the Disability Coordinator in OneStop and the Director of Housing & Student Life Operations to determine what accommodation may be available.

Snowball Policy

A number of incidents involving throwing snowballs, ice balls and other objects at individuals and property have resulted in complaints, damage and/or injury. Therefore, the throwing of such objects is prohibited in areas where non-participating individuals must pass by or near snowballs being thrown. It is important that every person be able to go about their business without having snowballs thrown at them. To ensure the safety and rights of the University community and the protection of personal and University property, every effort will be made to positively identify those involved in such incidents, and they will be referred for disciplinary action.


Posters for advertisements may be placed only in specified areas, with prior approval from the Director of Residential Education. No posters may be taped to walls or windows unless consent is given, and special non-marking/damaging tape must be used.
Students who have posted notices are responsible for taking them down within 24 hours after the advertised event has occurred. The front doors of each building are reserved for official Residential Education and Housing & Student Life Operations notices only.

Openings and Closings

Break Periods: The housing contract specifically states that housing and dining services are not available during Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks, and those times classes are not in sessions, except fall break. Students must arrange for transportation ahead of time and leave campus by the time the residence halls are closed for breaks, and may not return until the halls reopen.
Closing and reopening times are well publicized, and residents will be notified in advance of each closing. The dates the residence halls are closed for breaks are listed in the UNC Asheville Housing Web site. Please make plans to leave the residence halls by these dates/times. You do not need to take your belongings out of the room during breaks, but you will not have access to your room when residence halls are closed. Housing staff will enter the rooms during breaks to perform housing functions.
Students who request an exception to stay in the residence halls during a period when the halls are closed must submit a written request to the Assistant Director of Housing Operations in advance. If the request is granted, the student will be assessed a daily charge. Employment does not provide justification to stay in the residence halls during break periods.
End of Semester and Academic Year: All students must leave within 24 hours of their last exam, but no later than the 9:00 AM the day after classes end, whichever comes first. Students participating in commencement (graduating seniors, marshals, and members of music groups that are performing) must be packed and ready to move out of the residence halls immediately following the commencement ceremony.
Leaving the Residence Halls: You must leave the residence halls within 24 hours after your last scheduled exam. Your RA will contact you to find out the time of your last exam. If you need to stay longer, you must make special arrangements in advance (approximately two weeks ahead of time) with the Assistant Director of Housing Operations.

Forwarding Mail

Your first-class mail will be forwarded to the permanent address you have listed with the Registrar’s Office (unless you are a UNC Asheville summer resident student). If you want your mail forwarded to a different address, it is your responsibility to notify the Student Mail Center before you leave for the summer or if you leave campus housing permanently.

Checkout Procedures

1. Your room should be empty of all your belongings and trash before you check out.
2. You are responsible for:

a. Taking down all posters, stickers, and other wall hangings.
b. Removing all personal rugs and carpet.
c. Cleaning all surfaces.
d. Returning furniture to the original position.
e. Clearing all personal items from the bathrooms.
f. Cleaning room and bathroom floors.
g. Removing all posters and memo boards from the doors.
h. Cleaning and defrosting all Microfridges. ®

3. For your protection, Room Condition Reports should be filled out completely.

a. RCR should be signed and dated by you and your RA.
b. Each category on the RCR should have some comment.

4. For those students who do not check out: “IMPROPER CHECKOUT” is written in place of your signature.

a. There is a charge for improper check-out and an additional charge for failure to return any key.

5. Any damages should be settled between residents of the room. If no one takes responsibility, all residents will split the charge(s).

6. Please report any maintenance or repairs that need to be done to so rooms can be prepared for the next occupants.
7. Express checkout forms are provided for your convenience.

Resident’s Rights

When living in a community environment, each UNC Asheville resident possesses certain individual rights and responsibilities which that are held in high regard. The following “Bill of Rights” is intended to define the minimum a resident student can expect.

Primary Rights

Primary rights of the resident include:

  • The right to read and study free from undue interference in your room. One of the basic purposes of the University is the dissemination and application of knowledge. Unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right.
  • The right to sleep, the right to one’s personal belongings, the right to free access to your room and suite facilities during the period that the residence halls are open, and the right to a clean environment in which to live.
  • Optimum physical conditions are essential, as they support, reinforce and provide positive conditions in which to learn and live.
  • The student has the right to impartial and fair adjudication of grievances and the right to be free from retribution, intimidation, and imposition of sanctions apart from due process. If the academic and residence hall communities are to function in the most educationally profitable manner, the right to initiate actions and referrals for impartial and fair adjudication of grievances is held to be paramount.
  • The right to be yourself as long as your behavior does not infringe upon the rights of others, or threaten harm to yourself or others.

Subordinate Rights

Secondary rights of the resident are those which should be protected, unless they infringe on the reasonable exercise of the primary rights defined above. These secondary rights include:

  • All persons should have freedom from interference with their personal activities, and should be able to maintain privacy for nonacademic reasons.
  • All students should have the opportunity to maintain personal contacts and friendships with others to fulfill their needs for socialization. Guests are to respect the above-stated rights of the host’s roommates and of other residents. Overnight guests must be registered with the Office of Residential Education. A resident’s housing contract is renewable each year, at the discretion of the Office of Residential Education and Housing & Student Life Operations. The Staff reserves the right to refuse housing to any resident who becomes delinquent in housing payments or who has demonstrated an unwillingness or continual inability to abide by community rules, regulations and policies within the residence hall system.
  • Note: In order to honor roommate requests for first-year students, the requests must be mutual and in writing (on the housing application, or a note to the office) from both students. We will attempt to honor requests received by May 15.

General Regulations

The code is outlined in the Student Handbook and is on the Housing website.  You are advised to be familiar with this code and act accordingly. Students who are found to be in violation of University and residential education policies and regulations will be held accountable for their behavior in accordance with this code.

Parental Notification Policy

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) it is permissible for institutions of higher education to notify parents of underage students (under 21) when those students are found responsible for alcohol and other drug-related incidents. For students who are 21 or over, parents will not be routinely notified of alcohol or drug violations. However, parents/guardians will be contacted if a student is determined to be, or to have been at the time of the incident, a danger to themselves, others or property. Parents/Guardians of these students may also be contacted if any incident requires the student to receive emergency assistance or to be transported to the hospital. Any changes to this policy or individual exceptions to this policy may be made by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or their designee.

Smoking Policy

In accordance with the North Carolina General Administration and the University Smoking Policy, no smoking is allowed in any University building. Smoking is also prohibited within 100 feet of University buildings, outdoor athletic facilities, and outdoor recreation facilities. The only exception to this 100-foot rule is outside University Residence Halls, where outdoor designated smoking areas may be closer to buildings for the purpose of resident safety. There are three smoking areas outside of the residential areas. One is located behind Mills and Founders Hall, next to the Botanical Gardens. The second is located behind Vance Hall in Governors Village and the third can be found in the Ridges Parking Deck. Signage will denote where these smoking areas are located.

  • Electronic cigarettes can only be utilized within these designated smoking areas.
  • Hookahs are not permitted in the University Residence Halls.

Residence Hall Inspection and Search Policy

Entry by University employees into occupied rooms of University residence halls is divided into four categories: inspection, search, emergency and non-emergency.
Inspection is defined as the entry into an occupied room by University employees in order to ascertain the health and safety conditions in the room, to check on the physical condition of the room, to make repairs, or to clean. Students are expected to maintain their rooms in a state of cleanliness, with floors cleaned and trash emptied regularly. Scheduled inspections by University employees, with the exception of cleaning or repair operations, shall be preceded, if possible, by 24-hour notice to the residents. During the inspection, there will be no search of personal belongings, closets or drawers. University employees include, but are not limited to: Residential Education staff, Housing & Student Life Operations staff, Student Affairs staff, Campus Police officers and Facilities Management staff. All rooms are inspected by staff before each scheduled opening and after each scheduled closing.
Search is defined as the entry into an occupied room by Campus Police officers for the purpose of investigating suspected violations of campus regulations and/or local, state, or federal law. Campus Police policy states that officers may enter student rooms with consent, a warrant or probable cause. For more information about room search laws, policies and procedures, students may contact Campus Police at (828) 251-6710.

Emergency is defined as any situation that exists where probable cause suggests an emergency situation. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Crisis intervention: Potential suicide attempts based on threats, gestures or remarks about suicide.
  • Excessive noise or partying that is disruptive to others on the hall and where a lack of cooperative behavior among the residents exists.
  • Smell, sound, or information received that would indicate a potential emergency situation.

Non-Emergency is defined as any situation that causes concern but does not pose immediate danger. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Performance of health and safety inspections by staff
  • Performance of well-being checks by staff if a student is reported sick or missing
  • Verification whether or not a student’s belongings are in a room to determine if a room has been occupied without approval or has been vacated without notice

Procedure for Search in Residence Hall Rooms

A request for a legal search may be made by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or their designee, the Dean of Students, the Director of Residential Education, Director of Housing Operations, Community Director, or by two Resident Assistants, when reasonable cause exists to suspect that a violation of regulations or state, federal, or local law is occurring or has occurred. Initiating authorities will contact their supervisor(s) and a Campus Police officer, and will request a search. A final decision to proceed will be made in consultation with Campus Police.

Controlled Substances

Alcoholic Beverage Policy:

  1. Students of legal drinking age (21 years of age or older) will be permitted to drink alcoholic beverages in their rooms or if they are an invited guest in another resident’s room if that resident is 21 years of age or older.
  2. Possession or use of caffeinated alcohol beverages or prepackaged alcoholic beverages designed for rapid consumption of high alcohol volume content will not be permitted in the residence halls.
  3. Transportation of open alcoholic beverage containers, as well as alcoholic beverages in open containers, will not be permitted in the residence halls.
  4. Consumption of alcoholic beverages in residence hall common areas (TV rooms, study rooms, lounge areas, etc.) will not be permitted.
  5. Kegs are not permitted in any residence hall area.
  6. Students who are not of legal drinking age are not allowed to drink, transport or possess alcoholic beverages at any time.
  7. If you are of legal drinking age and choose to drink, you may not drink in any public area or in public view.
  8. If you are drinking in your room, you should have the door closed so that your use of alcohol is not visible to the public or from a public area.

The University will establish no policy or regulation that sanctions either the use of alcoholic beverages or any action that contravenes state or federal law regarding the purchase or consumption of alcoholic beverages. North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control laws make it unlawful for anyone under 21 years of age to purchase, possess or consume (or for anyone to aid such a minor in purchasing, possessing or consuming) alcoholic beverages. All members of the University community are responsible for obeying state laws indicated above and state laws pertaining to the transportation of alcohol and the consumption of alcohol in public places (General Statutes 18–51). Students are further expected to follow the University’s Alcoholic Beverage Policy as stated in the Student Handbook and Residents’ Handbook. The University discourages drunkenness and other abuses of alcoholic beverages by any person. Being under the influence of alcohol and disorderly is considered a serious breach of conduct, and students who violate these standards are subject to appropriate disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Handbook. The University prohibits consumption of alcohol by persons under 21 years of age.

Drug Policy

Students, faculty members, administrators, and other employees of The University of North Carolina at Asheville are responsible as citizens for knowing about and complying with the provisions of North Carolina law that make it a crime to possess, sell, deliver, or manufacture those drugs designated collectively as “controlled substances” in Article 5 of Chapter 90 of the North Carolina General Statutes. For UNC Asheville students, this includes the illegal or abusive use or possession of any other chemical substance, compound or combination. The term “illegal use or possession” means use or possession that is unlawful under either federal or state laws. The term “abusive use” means use of a chemical substance primarily for the recreational purpose of altering one’s mood, emotion, or state of consciousness as opposed to use that has been prescribed for treatment of the user by a licensed health care attendant or that is specified by the manufacturer’s labeling. Any member of the University community who violates that law is subject to both prosecution and punishment by the civil authorities and to disciplinary proceedings by The University of North Carolina at Asheville. Disciplinary proceedings against a student, faculty member, administrator, or other employee will be initiated when the alleged conduct is deemed to affect the interests of UNC Asheville. Penalties will be imposed for violation of the policies of UNC Asheville only in accordance with procedural safeguards applicable to disciplinary actions against students, faculty members, administrators, and other employees. The penalties that may be imposed range from written warnings with probationary status to expulsions from enrollment and discharges from employment.
Every student, faculty member, administrator and other employee of The University of North Carolina at Asheville is responsible for being familiar with and complying with the terms of the policy on illegal drugs adopted by the Board of Trustees. A copy of the full text of the policy appears in the UNC Asheville Policy and Procedures Manual. Summaries of the policy are found in the Faculty Handbook, the Student Handbook and the Employee Guide.

Psychological Statement

Residential Education and The Dean of Students will work with students that require support and care for psychological wellness issues that do not endanger themselves or others. The residence halls are not equipped or staffed to effectively support students who may need intense or emergency psychological services. Therefore, students may be required to move out of the residence halls immediately if they harm or threaten to do harm to themselves or other students.

Personal Safety

Resident students are encouraged to be mindful of their personal safety and that of their possessions. Students should lock their rooms at all times and report any concerns for safety and security to both Residential Education staff and Campus Police. Students moving around the campus at night should use caution, travel with friends when possible, stay in well-lighted areas and be aware of their surroundings. There are blue emergency call boxes prominently located throughout the campus for contacting Campus Police in emergencies or for an escort. Campus Police will provide escorts during the day for medical emergencies only. They will provide escorts after dark by request.

Noise Policy

In order to ensure the right to study, read or sleep without interruption from disturbing noise, the following policies have been established:

Quiet Hours

  • Sunday through Thursday 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.
  • Friday and Saturday nights from 1 a.m. to noon.
  • During these hours, doors to the rooms should be closed and all noise from conversations, stereos, televisions, etc., should be contained within the rooms.
  • Maintaining quiet hours in the hall is the responsibility of each resident, as well as the residence hall staff. Violations of quiet hours can result in disciplinary action.
  • Quiet hours may be extended (but not reduced or shortened) by a majority vote of floor residents.

Courtesy Hours are in effect anytime not specifically designated as quiet hours.  Courtesy hours are a matter of common sense.

  • This means that if you are making noise loud enough to disturb your neighbors or be heard outside your room or suite, you are in violation of courtesy hours. Thus, loud stereos, televisions, disruptive conversations and other disturbances will not be tolerated.
  • These hours are applicable to noises both inside and outside the residence hall.
  • Organized events and activities are also included in this policy. Violations will result in disciplinary action.

Quiet floors observe 24-hour quiet hours, with the exception of Monday through Thursday from 4 to 7 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from noon-midnight.

  • Musical instruments in residence hall rooms
  • Play permitted during the hours of 4 to 7 p.m.
  • During these hours, the volume of the instruments should not disturb your neighbors.

Emergency Procedures

Campus Police

Based in Weizenblatt Hall, Campus Police officers are on duty 24 hours a day. Any problems concerning public safety, thefts or traffic and parking information should be directed to the Campus Police office. Officers are also available to provide escort services for medical emergencies.
There is a tendency for students to become complacent and less attentive to their own personal safety. Please use common sense. Remember to always lock your door when leaving your room unattended, even if you think you’ll only be gone for a few minutes.
Keep your vehicle locked at all times and place valuables out of sight. If you notice anyone who does not belong in the residence halls, report it to Residential Education staff or Campus Police (828) 251-6710.

After-Hours Emergencies

Resident Assistants and Night Assistants are available to assist you in Founders, West Ridge, South Ridge, Governors Hall and Mills from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m., seven days a week. They are employed to provide security services to the residents of these residence halls by monitoring entrance doors to each building, responding to emergency situations, checking every floor, making note of activity in each building, and checking all exits. Residential Education staff may be reached at (828) 989-8752.

Fire/Emergency Equipment

Misuse of fire prevention and control equipment in University buildings has the potential to cause harm, injury and inconvenience to individuals, as well as damage to property. For these reasons, the University supports the following position:
It shall be unlawful for any student to misuse, tamper with, or otherwise disturb without proper cause, any fire prevention and control equipment including, but not limited to, thermal detectors in the ceilings of University buildings, fire alarms or fire extinguishers and sprinkler heads. Any student found guilty of such may be immediately evicted from the residence halls, be held responsible for financial restitution, and be subject to any sanction imposed by the student judicial code. (Students evicted from the residence halls receive refunds in accordance with stated University policy.) The guilty party may also be subject to prosecution in the local court system.

Evacuation Procedure

Fire drills will be conducted at least once per semester. These drills are for your safety; please take them and all alarms seriously and follow the procedures in your building including evacuation locations, as outlined by your Resident Assistant. Failure to evacuate a building when required will result in disciplinary action.

Medical Emergency

Should any medical emergency arise, contact a Community Director, Resident Assistant or the Night Assistant on duty. These persons will follow the proper procedures to get help. Students may also contact the Student Health Center at 828.251.6520 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Campus Police can be contacted by calling 828.251.6710.

Securing of Buildings/Access Control

For the security of our residents, each residence halls are locked at all times. Resident students can access their halls through the main entrances by using their OneCards. Guests must be escorted by a residential student in order to obtain access to the residence halls. After 8 p.m. and before 5 a.m., guests must sign in upon entry at the front desk of each area, except in Governors Village. Contact your Resident Assistant for more information concerning closings.
Founders Hall has a second floor, main lobby entrance, as well as three sets of doors on the first floor. The glass doors by the first-floor elevator are open from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. for Founders Hall residents via card access. Residents and guests in Mills Hall, West Ridge Hall and South Ridge Hall are to enter and exit through the main lobby doors only. All first floor doors in Mills Hall, West Ridge Hall and South Ridge Hall are for emergency and service use only. Exceptions to this policy will be made as needed by the Dean of Students.
Between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m., resident students must show a UNC Asheville ID card to enter Founders Hall, South Ridge Hall, West Ridge Hall, Governors Hall, Overlook Hall or Mills Hall. Students will receive a warning letter after forgetting their UNC Asheville ID six times and will be subject to disciplinary action after twelve infractions.
Visitors may enter with an approved overnight guest pass or by checking in at the desk and leaving a form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license, school ID military ID. Visitors must exit the residence halls according to the stipulated hours of visitation unless they have obtained approved overnight guest passes.
Persons found propping open any secured doors are subject to disciplinary action and/or eviction from the residence halls.

Important Phone Numbers and Resources:

After-Hours Residential Education Staff828.989.8752
Campus Police828.251.6710
Heath & Fitness Center828.252.5650
Health Services828.232.6520
Residential Education, Housing & Student Life Operations828.251.6700
Founders Hall Community Director828.251.2371
Governors Hall & Village Community Director828.251.3861
Mill Hall Community Director828.251.2372
Overlook Hall Community Director828.232.2881
South & West Ridge Hall Community Director828.251.2374

After Hours Services

If you need emergency assistance after normal business hours or on weekends, you may contact the CD on duty at (828)989-8752. All routine business is conducted through the Office of Residential Education and Housing & Student Life Operations during normal business hours (828)251-6700.