Residential Education, Housing Operations and Dining Services

Residence Halls

Residential Education, Housing & Student Life Operations are committed to providing a safe, clean, well-maintained living learning environment for all residents. The residence halls represent a wide variety of living options including single, double and suite-style arrangements. Visit the website at

Community Directors (CDs) are full time, professional Residential Education staff members, who live in each residence hall area. Resident Assistants (RAs), are student staff members, who live on the halls/floors of each building. Residential Education staff offer programs and activities based on the University student learning outcomes and the University Strategic Plan that complement and enrich each student’s campus experience. Staff members plan and coordinate educational and social programs, as well as outreach and support, including a wide variety of activities, such as lectures, movies, discussion groups and intramural teams.

Each of the seven residence hall areas is a short walk from classroom buildings, the library, dining hall, and recreation facilities. All areas offer computer labs, collaboratories, kitchens, laundry facilities and lounges for students to study or relax.

All residence hall rooms have air conditioning, internet connection and cable television service. Common areas have standard features such as study rooms, lounges, laundry facilities, computer labs, wireless connections and vending machines. ALL RESIDENCE HALLS ARE SMOKE FREE. Designated smoking areas are clearly marked and located adjacent to the Residence Halls.

Residence hall rooms are furnished with beds, desks, chairs, chest of drawers, window blinds, MicroFridges®, and closet space. Residents furnish their own linens and other personal items. It is the responsibility of the student to maintain the living area. Students are accountable for all university property in their rooms. Room furniture should never be left in study areas or halls. Furniture from common areas should never be taken to individual rooms.

Students who live in UNC Asheville residence halls sign a Housing and Dining Contract which is part of their housing application. The term of this contract is for one academic year consisting of two semesters, or for an alternate period beginning sometime after fall semester begins and terminating at the end of spring semester. The Housing and Dining Contract includes a meal plan that is required for all resident students. By signing this contract, each resident agrees to observe all rules and regulations of the university and Residential Education, Housing and Student Life Operations as outlined in the Residents’ Handbook and the Student Handbook. In order to live in University Housing, a student must be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credit hours or more) during each semester. A student in their senior year is permitted to be enrolled in 9-11 and remain in the residence hall. A senior student wishing to remain in housing and be at 9-11 hours will need to complete a special request form with the Dean of Students office. A senior in their graduating semester who may have special circumstances, which places them under 9 hours, may meet with the Dean of Students to seek approval for their on campus residency.

The Residents’ Handbook contains regulations and guidelines pertaining to check in and checkout, room assignments and changes, animals, personal safety, mail delivery, key replacement, parking, maintenance, overnight guests, visitation and many other topics that will assist in guiding the student in their on-campus living experience.

University Dining Services

The Dining Hall is the main dining facility for students, faculty and staff, offering options that include specialty grill items, entrees, pizza, salad bar, deli counter, vegetarian, vegan and items for special dietary needs. Resident students are required to purchase a meal plan. There are also separate meal plans available for commuting students. A declining balance system allows students to make deposits into a fund that may be accessed for the Dining Hall, Cafe Ramsey, Highsmith Union Food Court, Pizza Hut (on campus delivery)  the Wellness Café, Sherrill Center, and The Down Under in Overlook Hall.  Visit Dining Services website.

Off-Campus Housing

All first year students are required to live on campus. Students who plan to live off campus make their own living arrangements. Some off-campus living options can be found on the Housing and Residential Life website.