The Office of Transition and Parent Programs at UNC Asheville helps new students transition to university life, build a strong foundation for academic and personal success, and embrace opportunities that promote intellectual growth. The office serves new students and their families by intentionally engaging students in interactive and meaningful campus initiatives that help maximize their collegiate experience. The Office of Transition & Parent Programs includes orientation (embark, prerendezblue, rendezblue) programs, transition Student Programs, family programs and resources, and Veteran Student programs and resources.
embark: June Orientation
Freshmen: 2 Days, 1 Night
Transfer Students: 1 Day
- Meet academic advisors, navigate the curriculum, get oriented to the campus, and learn about campus resources to maximize academic success.
- Learn how to navigate campus life through participation in small group activities led by a member of the embark Orientation Blue Crew, where you meet fellow incoming students and identify opportunities for campus involvement.
- An embark Orientation session is also offered to all family members and is designed to educate them about the nuts and bolts of sending their student to college, as well as connects them with faculty and staff of the University.
pre-rendezblue: August pre-orientation
For First Year Students: 5 Days, 4 Nights
- First year students are encouraged to get a head start on their college career by registering for one of nine sessions offered prior to the official move in date for the fall semester.
- Join a dynamic and diverse group of fellow students and pre-rendezblue leaders who have similar interests and learn about resources, opportunities, and social activities on campus and in the Asheville area. Students may explore diversity, health and wellness, music, literature, art, history, outdoor recreation, sustainability, and community service while expanding their sense of belonging before the start of the fall semester.
rendezblue: August Orientation – Start of Semester
- Attend Convocation and be formally introduced to UNC Asheville’s Chancellor, faculty, and staff as you learn about some of our university’s traditions and rituals.
- Have dinner with your fellow classmates and the campus community. Afterward, attend RockyPalooza to start your first night of campus living with fun, active, engaging, and communal activities sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs.
- Get familiar with the campus and learn about the academic and co-curricular activities offered at UNC Asheville while having fun and meeting new people.
Parent Programs – Parents and families stay connected at UNC Asheville
- Family Weekend provides a weekend for families to come see the life of their college student by engaging in educational sessions, social activities, and informational sessions with the campus community.
- A Family Newsletter is provided twice each semester to parents and families to update them on the exciting events and opportunities taking place at UNC Asheville.
- The National Parents Council provides parents with an intentional and dedicated outlet for providing ongoing feedback and suggestions that encourage the growth and continued development of students at UNC Asheville.
Veterans Programs and Services
- Receive information and updates about resources and opportunities available for veteran students.
- Attend a UNC Serves meeting to provide feedback on important issues affecting student veterans.
- Access the Veterans Programs web site for information geared to help veteran students successfully acclimate to UNC Asheville at transition.unca.edu/veterans-programs-and-services.